Monday, June 15, 2009

Marathon Training

Yesterday was the start of marathon training. There are about 30 people registered for the class, although I'm not sure all 30 were there yesterday...all shapes, sizes, speeds, men & women. Yesterday we were told to run 4 or 6 miles, your choice, on the W&OD Trail at an easy pace. Some people finished 6 miles in the time it took me to run 4 miles and there were still some people who were walking the whole distance. Thankfully, Michelle joined the program as well. She and I run at a similar speed, and we haven't seen each other in a week or two so it gave us a chance to chit chat and catch up.

I do have to say, I'm glad I spent the money on this training plan. Yesterday morning about 3:30am I woke up with a horrible headache. I'm pretty sure it was sinus pressure, but it was localized like my migraines are and is very close to TOM so it could have been hormonal. Either way, it was baaaaad. And I couldn't breath. I woke up again when my alarm went off and fumbled around looking for more cold medicine (since I took the last of the other stuff I was taking the night before). Let's just say, between the horrible headache, the congestion, and being tired (from being awake in the middle of the night), I would not have gone for a 4 mile run yesterday morning if I hadn't paid for this class. And yes, I was congested the whole time and the headache got better, never went away, but it was still a great run and I enjoyed it.

This coming week has me cross training today, resting on Friday and running the rest of the days. Some weeks we have 2 days of rest, some weeks we only have 1. It is definitely a do-able schedule, however, I do need to get some running in first thing in the morning. Next week Michelle and I are going to plan to meet up at 4:30 or 5am and go for a run. We are both hoping that the thought of the other person sitting out there wait for us is enough motivation to get out of bed and not hit snooze. I need to talk to the coach next week and see what he thinks about the interval training I'm doing on Wednesday nights. I'm wondering if I can just do that instead of the runs that are scheduled for Wednesdays.

Now if I can just shake this cold I'd be doing great!

Oh, and a side note.....the Mexican restaurant is 3 doors down from the running store and they do Sunday morning brunch. I see Mexican brunch in our future after marathon training! :)

1 comment:

Jenny said...

cool--i wish we had something like that around here. but i guess that just doesn't happen much out in the sticks :o)